Monday, September 27, 2021

"In the Name of the Moon" Re-Watch: Returning Memories: Usagi and Mamoru's Past" & "Usagi's Confusion: Is Tuxedo Mask Evil?"

 Sailor Moon


We kind of got left with a little bit of a cliffhanger at the end of the last episode. Usagi was revealed to be the Moon Princess was looking for. I'm always curious if there's anyone out there who hasn't seen the anime or read the manga who doesn't see this coming. It just feels so obvious, but there has to be someone who was completely shocked, right? I'd love to meet this person.


"Returning Memories: Usagi and Mamoru's Past"


Princess Serenity: "Endymion. You're Endymion. My one true love." [Transforms back into Sailor Moon and passes out.]

We pick up right where we left off with Sailor Moon revealed to be the Moon Princess Serenity and the Legendary Silver Crystal appearing and affixing to the Moon Stick. Zoisite attempts again to retrieve it but is repelled by Serenity. Kunzite and Zoisite return to Queen Beryl with Tuxedo Mask where Zoisite meets his fate. Artemis and Luna tell the girls about the Moon Kingdom, Silver Millennium and their past lives. Sailor Moon is ready to give up fighting but will that be an option when Kunzite returns looking for revenge?


So, most people might think that this episode is special because we finally get some backstory filled in when it comes to the Moon Princess and Sliver Millennium. Sure, that stuff is fine I guess, but the real important thing about this episode is the heart wrenching death of Zoisite in his lover, Kunzite's arms. Y'all. I tear up watching this ever time and I think I always will no matter how many times I see it. 

Like a lot of you, I was introduced to "Sailor Moon" through the DiC dub, which re-dubbed and butchered the episodes. I didn't watch the original version until I was in junior high and that was when I learned that Zoisite was a dude and that totally changed how I felt about this pairing. No one is going ever make the argument that Zoisite and Kunzite are good people. They are trying to murder teenage girls. But, their loving relationship was one of the first I'd ever seen between two men. Let that sink in. Zoisite's demise in this episode is legit heartbreaking. Zoisite telling Kunzite he is happy to die in his arms. Being taken somewhere beautiful. I'm getting choked up. Honestly, this is why queer people identify with the villains.

The less important stuff is the Silver Millennium reveal. I kid. It's nice to get some concrete explanations about what is going on and it is completely understandable that Sailor Moon is done. She's arguably at her lowest point and she's ready to throw in the towel. It's easy to forget that she is fourteen and this is a lot. It's of course Sailor Mars who literally slaps some sense into her, but I think Mars really does have compassion for her and Sailor Moon does step up to the plate when it counts and recommits herself to the mission. I love an anime deus ex machina, which is exactly what the Moon Stick is here when it repels Zoisite, but it's a triumphant moment so I'll let them have it.

But seriously. The only thing that matters here is Zoisite and Kunzite. 

Grade: A-

"Usagi's Confusion: Is Tuxedo Mask Evil?"


Minako Aino: "Venus Power Make-Up!"

Usagi is going through it with Mamoru being gone and nothing can help snap her out of it. Minako tries her best by taking Usagi to a salon run by a famous hairstylist. Little do the girls know, these free haircuts are all part of the Dark Kingdom's newest plan to uncover the identity of Sailor Moon and find the Legendary Silver Crystal. Kunzite has a strand of Sailor Moon's hair and he is analyzing every girl who goes under the hair dryer. The girls are attacked by a youma but Tuxedo Mask appears to save the day. Or does he?

Run you hands through my hair.

In this episode, we finally get to see Sailor Venus' transformation sequence. That's it. That is the big news. See you all next time. There's going to be a lot of space in this one. 

I'm joking. Kind of. As the biggest Sailor Venus fan, finally seeing her transform is a treat, but we also get to learn a little more about Minako Aino. Since Minako is the newest guardian and a lot of shit has happened since she was introduced it was great to see her interact with Usagi and get an impression of who she is. I love when she and Usagi are hanging out and it feels like Minako really speaks her language. More than the other girls, Minako is very similar to Usagi, in that they are, for lack of a better term, "girl's girls." So, it's no surprise that Minako tries to relax Usagi by doing her hair. As someone who has grown their hair out, I have to say, having someone else brush it out is very intimate and I don't even mean that in a sexual way. Having a friend do it, really bonds. you and it's really sweet to watch Minako work on Usagi's hair and daydream with her about what her hair might look like in various styles. It's a really sweet sequence and it is probably my favorite part of the episode. 

The rest of the episode is pretty paint by numbers for a "Sailor Moon" episode. Though I do like how the show isn't letting go of the fact that Rei is also impacted by Mamoru's disappearance. They were dating and even though Mamo seemed like the worst boyfriend in existence, Rei did have real feeling for him and they aren't sweeping that under the rug. It's not just Usagi who is hurting and I like how the show acknowledges that and no one makes Rei feel bad for grieving too. There is enough sympathy to go around for both girls. There is also some decent comedy in this episode. The sequence of Usagi running into stuff and falling because she can't focus is gold.

Otherwise, we have your standard youma of the week. The focus has shifted from the Dark Kingdom gathering energy to them trying to deduce the identity of Sailor Moon so they can get the Silver Crystal. This weeks youma, Mitsuami, is an amalgam of the hairstylist and her assistants. Her design is fun. I love the barber pole arm that turns into a giant electric razor. I will say the reveal that Tuxedo Mask is going by Endymion and is working for the Dark Kingdom is kind of rushed and glossed over. I would have thought that would have been a bigger part of the episode, but it's not. I guess they make a bigger deal out of it in coming episodes? I mean, they do. I think. It's been a while since I've seen these.

Grade: B

Next up, Usagi decides it is time to learn how to act like a princess and the girls hit the slopes for some ski bunny realness.

There was a lot of Sailor Venus goodness in these episodes. What did everyone else think? Is Mamoru the worst boyfriend? Let me know in the comments.

No comments:

Post a Comment