Tuesday, March 26, 2019

Drag Race Continues to Get Political As the Dolls Take On Trump and the Women That Love and Love to Hate Him

RuPaul's Drag Race, Episode 4: "Trump The Rusical"


In the early days of "RuPaul's Drag Race," it took a very apolitical bent and that was by design. RuPaul is on record as saying that she didn't want it to be too political or too polarizing. In the current political climate, that may seem odd. Heck, it might seem odd for back then, especially when you factor in how active trans women and drag queens, especially those of color, have been in fighting for so many of the rights we have today. But, we have to remember that when Drag Race premiered in 2009, they were in the halcyon days of the Obama presidency. We still believed in hope and change and we believed those things would last. 

But as days have gotten darker to coincide with Trump's rise, Ru has lifted the Drag Race political ban even hosting Speaker of the House, Nancy Pelosi in the Werk Room. And now, for this episode's maxi challenge, we get "Trump: The Rusical." A bunch of men dressed as women making fun of the President and singing about pussy power, may not seem super revolutionary, but in today's Twitter charged political climate it definitely is.


After the "gangbang lip sync," I guess we are calling it, the girls are shooketh. But really, gang bang lip sync. I thought it was just a new Vanjie-ism, but Ru says the same thing later on during his walk through. Why is this a thing? It's troubling. The gals know they need to step their games up and they get the chance in the next day's mini challenge.

Drag Kings in the Werk Room
I love this mini challenge because it incorporates Ru's and my favorite newswoman, Rachel Maddow! Once in their Maddow drag, the queens read a breaking news story in Rachel's inimitable style with the real Rachel breaking in from time to time with her own rendition. This mini challenge is a lot of fun, but I have major concerns about a lot of these queens reading and reading comprehension levels. Are some of them illiterate? Is "sophisticated" a difficult word? Is it possible that people in their twenties and thirties have never seen the word "colonel" spelled out and even if they haven't, they can't figure it out through context clues? I'm nervous. Silky has a Master's and she doesn't know that word? What is the state of higher education today?

Scarlet Envy wins the mini challenge and she gets to assign the roles in "Trump: The Rusical" which is a parody of the musical "Grease" featuring the many women in Trump's orbit. This is a lot of power and Scarlet could easily use it to fuck people around. She doesn't seem to do that. She makes the right decision in not allowing Mercedes the lead role of Shandee and in making Silky Oprah despite her loud protestations. Yes, Silky, casting you as Oprah is the very definition of low-hanging fruit, but have you never watched this show? That is what they want. They aren't looking for nuance. And even forgetting that, why would anyone trust you with the lead role after you couldn't even keep your wig on two episodes ago?

Drumpf
The queens head to dance rehearsal with Yanis Marshall. You may know him from the Celine Dion "Deadpool 2" music video. I have said it before and I'll said it again, the best was when Alyssa Edwards choreographed and she should be doing it always, but Yanis is better than Todrick Hall. His shady comments come off super genuine and he takes Ra'Jah to task for bragging about her dance experience to try to one up Brooke Lynn. Am I feeling badly for Ariel? I really hope not. I don't want to feel empathy for her because she annoys me so freaking much. But, in the deepest recesses of my dark heart, I did feel a little sympathy for her when she was completely falling apart during the rehearsals.

SILKY GANAAAAACHHHHEEE!!!
The first time I watched the Rusical, I wasn't super into it. But watching it through a second time, I thought it was much better. It made me appreciate some of the girls a little more. Nina continues to find herself and shine in the competition. Her Sarah Huckabee Sanders is SNL worthy and the backstory shared in the episode about running for student government and being threatened drives home this idea that there are parallels from then and now still happening. Brooke Lynn shines as Ivana Trump. Is it a stretch? No. But it's nice to see her do some character work after her abysmal performance in the acting challenge a couple of weeks ago. Scarlet smartly gave herself Betsy Devos, a smallish character but big enough to give her some standout moments. Silky slays Oprah Winfrey. She's got the dress, the hair, the mannerisms. It reminds me a bit of Bebe's Diana Ross in All-Stars 3. A small role but it's memorable due to the nailed characterization. Shuga Cain is flying under the radar and I think is being slept on a little bit. I thought her Hillary Clinton was great. I'm always impressed with Shuga's make up skills and how she can really change her face to look almost unrecognizable. I'm hopeful she makes it to Snatch Game. Yvie is the MVP for me, as she has been. Her Kellyanne is grotesque and whimsical and wonderful.

Orange Juice of a Clown
Dawn Trump
On the runway, category is orange alert. If there is one place this season is kind of letting me down, it's the runway. There is a lack of creativity from a lot of the queens. A lot of bodysuits. A lot of gowns. A lot of boring. The exceptions this week are two queens that are becoming my favorites. First up, Yvie Oddly. I love her orange clown couture. The orange rind wig. The make up. The oversized pussy bow. It's quirky and weird and completely Yvie. Yvie is the queen that I'm excited to see turn that corner because I know she is going to bring it. She's going to take a risk and even if I don't think that risk is completely successful, I know that I will appreciate it. With this look and another high placement in the challenge, Yvie is looking good.

But my favorite runway look of the night is Shuga Cain. This to me is what drag is all about, especially in times like these. Her Donald Trump drag look is gross and over the top. The teased out hair. The orange make up except around the eyes. The Cheetos she's eating as she saunters down the runway and using the dust on her fingers to touch up her foundation. It's brilliant. Doing things like this helps take power away from people. Trump uses all these things as a type of armor and by really accentuating how fucking ridiculous that is, Shuga strips him of all that. It's so fucking smart and I love it so much. I'm super bummed that she didn't get in the top. I would have loved to hear Ru's take on this. 

Silky Nutmeg Ganache is named the winner of the challenge. Which is fine I guess. I probably would have given it to Yvie. Silky did what she needed to do in the challenge but no matter how slowly she walked down the runway, her dress was part of the Latrice Royale cast off collection. I did think it was a little odd that no one brought up that Silky initially didn't want to do Oprah. Weird how she doesn't want to do stuff and then ends up doing well or winning. Production methinks.

Ra'Jah O'Hara and Mercedes Iman Diamond end up in the bottom. The writings been on the wall for a while with Mercedes and when she decided to talk to the girls about being a Muslim earlier in the Werk Room it became pretty clear this would be her swan song. Mercedes had a decent run on Drag Race. She probably lasted one more episode than she probably should have. I'm sure I'll see her in the Twin Cities.

We still have 11 queens left! Damn. That's a lot. Have your favorites changed? Is this season growing on you? It definitely has me. Let me know in the comments.









No comments:

Post a Comment