Sunday, March 27, 2016

Movie Review: Batman v. Superman - Dawn of Justice

Strong Performances from the Female Actors Can't Save the Long, Slow March Towards Death That is "Batman v. Superman: Dawn of Justice"


It's Sunday, March 27th and by now, you've read all the reviews. You've seen the 31% score on Rotten Tomatoes. You know that director Zack Snyder's take on the first meeting of two of the most iconic super heroes of all time is not what they deserve. I'm not here to pile on. I'm not sure I can say anything that hasn't already been said. Let's face it. This movie is review proof and the box office tallies are confirming that. So rather than focus on the negatives, I'm going to do my best to focus on the few positives the film offers. I can't promise that some negativity won't slip in there. I'm only human.


The most surprising thing for me was how strong the female characters were in this movie. Sensitivity to his female characters is not something that Zack Snyder is known for. Does anyone remember his ode to feminism "Sucker Punch?" The movie where women were lobotomized, prostitutes, but that doesn't matter because they are bad ass chicks in the fever dreams they have to escape their horrible, real lives. Someone must have learned from their mistakes, because the women of "BvS: DoJ" steal the show.

Amy Adams is the best Lois Lane that's been onscreen. She is tenacious and strong willed, but she's not self-serving. She's strong, but willing to let her guard down. Her relationship with Clark/Superman seems less forced than it did in "Man of Steel." Adams commands the screen each time she's on and I'm almost ready to forgive her for not dying her hair brown to play Lois.

Even the minor female characters in the movie shine, from Lex's assistant/henchwoman Mercy Graves played by Tao Okamoto to Holly Hunter's feisty Junior Senator from Kentucky, June Finch. These ladies are nothing more than plot devices in Snyder's script, but they imbue their characters with enough character tics and nuance to elevate them above the material.

The movie may focus mainly on the two men in it's title, but it's Gal Gadot's Wonder Woman that steals the show. I love Wonder Woman. I have ever since I saw re-run's of the Lynda Carter TV show on FX when I was a kid. I've been waiting to see her on the big screen ever since and I was very nervous when it was announced she was going to be in this movie. First, Snyder. Second, the only thing I had seen Gadot in was the "Fast & Furious" movies and those are not known for their stellar acting. I figured this was going to be a hot mess and man, was I ever glad to be wrong. Gadot exudes everything that the Amazon Princess is. She's beautiful and regal, but approachable. There is a warmth in her eyes when she is Diana Prince even when she is fouling up Bruce Wayne's plans. It's when she transforms into Wonder Woman that you really see that Gadot is perfect for the role. Diana is a warrior and she lives for the thrill of battle and each time Doomsday strikes in the film's climactic battle and the camera focuses on Gadot's face, you see the steely look of battle, but also the hint of a smirk that shows that Diana is doing what she is born to do. It's these small choices that Gadot makes that made me breath easy. The premiere heroine of comicbookdom is in good hands.

The other thing that "Batman v Superman" accomplishes is the world building. The way that the film incorporates the other future members of the Justice League is so simple, but genius. I'm surprised that more films haven't done it. I don't want to ruin it, but I really enjoyed it. Those brief scenes coupled with the strong performances by Gadot and Ben Affleck's Batman, make you excited for their solo films and the things that other directors can do when they aren't bogged down by the unrelentingly dark world that Snyder has created.

The saddest thing about the movie is if you squint and turn your head, you can see a good movie in there somewhere. If different choices had been made, if Snyder had zigged instead of zagged, things could have gone differently. Take Lex Luthor. His motivations and his speech to the Man of Steel when they come face to face for the first time are not bad, but the way Jesse Eisenberg plays Lex, like some weird mix of The Joker and Mark Zuckerberg, take away any sense of menace or danger. 

Sigh. I'm veering into negativity so maybe it's time to wrap things up. DC will take another shot at establishing a connected movie universe in August when they release "Suicide Squad." I wasn't super excited about it, but I will say, they at least look like they're having fun in the trailer which is more than anyone can say about "Batman v Superman: Dawn of Justice."

What did you guys think? Am I way off base here? Are there other redeeming qualities the movie has that I missed? Let me know in the comments.

No comments:

Post a Comment